Saturday, June 18, 2016

Mobile Post: First Night - First Problem

We got away in good time on Friday. By 10am we were on our way. After topping up fuel we motored out into the strait and headed South towards Active Pass. It was a pleasant and uneventful crossing with the wind on our stern quarter. 

As we got closer to Active Pass I checked in with an experienced sailing friend for options on anchorages inside the pass. JV suggested Annette Inlet on Prevost Island. We took his advice and enjoyed a peaceful evening at a beautiful anchorage (pics to follow).

This morning dawned with rain, wind and cloud. After enjoying a bacon and eggs breakfast we started bundling up for a cool day on the water. I went to grab my sailing jacket and....  Gone. I stared in disbelief at the empty hook where I normally hang it. Bad words were uttered. It was literally pouring rain outside.

David offered me one of his jackets but it was a little small. I hatched a plan. I called my long suffering partner Brenda and asked if she would send my jacket - and some other items I had forgotten, by Greyhound bus to downtown Victoria. I made the call and she reluctantly agreed, barely holding back her sarcastic remarks at my stupidity. 

A while later Brenda called and said my jacket was nowhere to be found at home.   At this point she remembered that last time she was on the boat she decided to nearly hang up my jacket in the aft locker. I never bother to do this so I didn't think to check there. A quick look in the locker confirmed - there it was neatly hanging ready for action. 

First problem solved. Now it's off into the rain. Victoria tonight. 


 

No comments: