Friday, February 15, 2013

A Good Day

So I really needed a day of sailing to get the bug out of my system and allow me to focus on other things.  I'm pretty sure Brenda and my boss would wholeheartedly agree.  That day came on Wednesday this week.

David and I booked the day off and made a beeline for the boat first thing in the morning.  I made a stop at the store and bought some eggs and garlic sausage so we could have a bit of breakfast on the boat.  Somehow this is a novelty to me and it just might become a tradition.



I arrived to find David struggling with the dinghy once again, this time armed with a block and tackle which he had confidently advised me would solve the problem once and for all through the wonders of physics.  However either Mr. Newton had taken the day off or we rigged the block and tackle incorrectly because the damn thing seemed just as heavy as it swung at a crazy angle from the spinnaker halyard.  We looked at each other and without another word, lowered it down, untied it and manhandled it over the side.

Shortly thereafter we were motoring out of Coal Harbour with Brenda waving and texting from her office window.  The tide was ebbing so we shot out from under the Lions Gate bridge at a blistering 7 knots, only to find the same glassy seas that Brenda and I had encountered a few days earlier.  Fortunately we found wind a while later at Point Atkinson and enjoyed some great sailing for a few hours.



We discovered a difference between us in sailing philosophy this day.  At the start of the day we had agreed to sail to Snug Cove on Bowen Island.  When I sail, I like to go somewhere - a destination.  And generally when I get there I like to eat.  To me this lends purpose to the trip.  That is precisely why there is a least one pub at every marina.  You sail for a bit, tie up and have a burger and beer.  Then you continue on.  David on the other hand, had no desire to stop.  Admittedly, after all the motoring we had only been sailing for 90 min or so.  He pointed out that we had several cans of chunky soup down below and a stove with a gimbal.  At that point the wind had come up and we here well heeled over.   I wasn't enthused about attempting to cook chunky soup at that point but I was enjoying the ride so I relented.  I found out afterward that Doc Morgans, the pub at Snug Cove, is closed now.

In the mid afternoon the sun came out and we shed a layer of clothing and enjoyed the warmth and blue sky.  It was pretty perfect for a while but then the wind died and reluctantly we headed back toward home.

No comments: