Monday, February 2, 2015

Winter: It's about small wins

I learned to sail in the middle of winter here in the Pacific Northwest. As a result, cold weather sailing has never been a problem for me.  In fact I feel very fortunate to own a boat in a place where year round sailing is possible.  I can't imagine going through what Canadian inland sailors experience every year, pulling their boats out of the water, removing the mast and rigging and storing the boat in a warehouse for the winter.  With that said, winter sailing here in Vancouver is a little bit hit and miss.  Between busy work schedules and long stretches of rain and monsoon winds, David and I have to seize our opportunities when we can.

This January it has been particularly tough to find an opportunity but this past week mother nature cooperated and blessed us with a few days of sunny weather and 10 - 15 knot winds.  At first it looked like we would both be too busy to take advantage of the nice weather but on Friday morning I found myself loading up Ge'Mara and heading out into English Bay once again.  I was sailing solo because David simply couldn't get away from work and no one else was able to join.  However, we made an alternate plan.  I would sail only as far as Snug Cove on Bowen Island.  This would give David the opportunity to take the ferry and meet me that evening for dinner on the boat and hopefully a fun sail home the next day.

A fine day for a winter sail


These mid-winter moments on the water have a unique feel about them.  It's pretty special to be out on the water at any time of year but to find yourself gliding across the bay under full sail on a sunny mid-winter day, you really feel like you're getting away with something.  While everyone else is happy just to be walking down the street without an umbrella, I am out sailing.  And an excellent sail it was.  With just enough wind to keep me moving along at about 4.5knots, I tacked back and forth across English Bay, dodging tanker traffic as I went.  A little further out I was able to duck below and heat up a can of chicken noodle soup while the auto pilot kept us pointed at Pt. Atkinson.  As I passed Lighthouse Park and waived to the day hikers, I slurped my hot soup and felt as good as I had in a while.

That night David and I enjoyed a steak dinner and got caught up after being preoccupied with our own lives for a month or so.  It was good to find ourselves out on the boat again and we made yet another toast to Ge'Mara and the wonderful contribution she has made to our lives so far.

Tied up at Union Steamship Marina in Snug Cove. 


The next day we had a leisurely breakfast, went for a bit of a walk around the island and headed for home.  We were teased by the outflow winds in Howe Sound to raise the sails but all too soon the wind died and we motored past Pt. Atkinson and towards home on glassy seas.  It was a short outing but it was good to be out again.  The time for epic sailing will come soon enough.  This time of year it's about small wins.

No comments: