Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Midsummer Pause...

With the summer solstice just barely past, one could be excused for thinking that these long days would be the perfect backdrop for sailing, even on weekdays.  Unfortunately here in Vancouver the summer is generally slow to start and June weather can be maddeningly uncooperative.  Such is the case this week as I contemplate the thick grey cloud and falling mist out my window.  For as much as I longed for warm summer days while sailing midwinter, I would almost trade today for one of those crisp, sunny, 5 degree days on the water with good wind and no competition for dock space at Snug Cove.  But in reality this is just a short pause and soon enough Ge'Mara will be a busy lady.

The view outside my window is grey this week

My friend Tom will be visiting for the weekend this July 4 weekend and he's stoked for a sail.  He likes to keep active so the plan is to combine sailing with hiking.  The Gulf Islands provide many opportunities for this.  Bowen Island has the Mount Gardener hike and only slightly further away, Gambier has Mount Artiban.  With that done we might cross the strait and visit Silva Bay or Telegraph Harbour.

My business schedule dictates that August is the month for vacation.  With that in mind I have two sails planned.  Brenda and I are long overdue for a real excursion on the boat and that will happen early in August.  Later in the month David and I are planning our longest journey yet, a trip to Nelson Island where his friend has a cabin.  In between I suspect there will be shorter outings with friends and family.

Someone said that in each life a little rain must fall.  So today I say bring it on.  We live in the shadow of a rainforest after all.  Soon enough we'll be on the water and wandering beneath lush ferns and furs, enjoying the sunnier side of a rainy climate.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.


No comments: